Dom Perignon

Wondering where the name Dom Perignon comes from?
The world-famous, noble brand is named after a Benedictine monk who bore the name Dom Pierre Pérignon and worked as a cellerar in a monastery.
With the aim of producing the most famous and best wine in the world, he tried using a variety of methods in the Hautville compartment for 47 years. The result of his efforts was the “champenoise” method.
This process is still used today and is essential for the taste of champagne. Since monk Dom Pierre Pérignon was very tech-savvy, he also pays attention to the efficiency of production and production, which is why he is not only known for the champagne itself, but also for the discovery of the champagne cork. With the cork he succeeded in keeping the carbonic acid in the bottle and thus perfecting the freshness of the champagne.

After the French Revolution (early 19th century), the monastery was vacant. Jean Remy Moet bought the birthplace and secured the right to the brands name “Dom Perignon” in 1930. Since then, the infamous champagne has been distributed in Europe and the USA.

A small fact on the side:
1921, 1926, 1928, 1929 and 1934 are the years in which the transvasation process (bottle fermentation) was still practiced. The first own cuvée was not available until 1943. This made the striking difference between Dom Pérignon and Moët and Chandon.